One of the most common question I get asked is, "What planes should I buy?" I've made this decision a little easier for you by putting together four handplane kits to meet your experience level and budget: Minimalist, Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master Craftsman kits. Sorry, our agreement with Woodcraft restricts us from shipping WoodRiver Planes to the U.S.
Apprentice Kit. This kit is designed for beginning handtool Woodworkers as they develop their skills, just like an apprentice. Later, as your skills improve, this kit becomes the core set of tools to which you will add other planes. This kit contains:
- WoodRiver No. 7 Jointer Plane
- WoodRiver No. 5-1/2 Jack Plane
- WoodRiver Low Angle Block Plane
- WoodRiver No. 92 Medium Shoulder Plane
The No. 7 Jointer allows is a long plane and is used to joint the edge of boards and flatten the face of boards. The No. 5-1/2 is truly a "Jack of all planes" and I use mine for 80% ofall planing. it can joint sort to medium boards, flatten the face of medium to short boards, and properly sharpened can be used as a smoother. It is also very effective on the shooting board. The low angle block plane is useful for those small jobs like champfering edges and square up endgrain. The No. 92 Medium Shoulder Plane will handle most tenon shoulder trimming and rabit planing jobs.
PLANE PREPARATION SERVICE. We offer a complete plane preparation service for each of these planes so that no set-up is required by you. Your plane will be ready to use 'out-of-the-box! All planes require some preparation if you want to get those nice wispy shavings and a beautiful wood surface. Let us do the work for you. Our Plane Preparation Service includes:
- Chamfer / ease the edges of the plane.
- Tune the lateral adjustment lever.
- Remove all of the shipping grease.
- Flatten the back of the lever cap.
- Flatten and fit the chip-breaker to the blade.
- Apply a back bevel and sharpen the blade.
- Test the plane for proper operation and set-up.
- Apply a light coat of Camellia oil to prevent rust.