One of the most common question I get asked is, "What planes should I buy?" I've made this decision a little easier for you by putting together four handplane kits to meet your experience level and budget: Minimalist, Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master Craftsman kits. Sorry, our agreement with Woodcraft restricts us from shipping WoodRiver Planes to the U.S.
This "Bare bones kit" is designed for the limited budget woodworker who wants the fewest number of planes possible and has no intention of buying additional planes. This kit includes:
- WoodRiver No. 6 handplane
- WoodRiver low-angle block plane
- WoodRiver No. 92 medium shoulder plane.
The No.6 Fore Plane is a cross between a jointer and a jack plane. You can joint an edge and flatten short to medium length boards. It is also very effective on the shooting board. The low angle block plane is a one-handed solution for when the #6 is simply too big. The No. 92 Medium Shoulder Plane will handle most tenon shoulder trimming and rabit planing jobs
PLANE PREPARATION SERVICE. We offer a complete plane preparation service for each of these planes so that no set-up is required by you. Your plane will be ready to use 'out-of-the-box! All planes require some preparation if you want to get those nice wispy shavings and a beautiful wood surface. Let us do the work for you. Our Plane Preparation Service includes:
- Chamfer / ease the edges of the plane.
- Tune the lateral adjustment lever.
- Remove all of the shipping grease.
- Flatten the back of the lever cap.
- Flatten and fit the chip-breaker to the blade.
- Apply a back bevel and sharpen the blade.
- Test the plane for proper operation and set-up.
- Apply a light coat of Camellia oil to prevent rust.