IBC Mortise Chisel: 1/4 inch
Determined to design a better mortise chisel, IBC and I teamed up and developed what I consider to be the best woodworking mortise chisel on the market today.
- Blade size: Length: including the tang is approximately 6 inches, Width: 1/4 inch , Height: 3/8 inch.
These chisels meet all five criteria of a great mortise chisel: comfortable, good steel, square sides (+/- .0015 of an inch accuracy), easy to set up, and the ability to change handles.
The quality, craftsmanship, and metallurgy on these "made in Canada" chisels are second to none (see product details tab for specifics).
The steel holds an edge beautifully
Each chisel is perfectly balanced, fits comfortable in your hand, and feels great.
The blade tang extends through a hardened steel ferrule and into a threaded hardened steel core that is inserted through the center of the wood handle and is securely attached to an aluminum striking cap.
A quick twist using the provided plastic blade sheath seats the chisel together by compression.
When the handle is detached, the blade can be separated from the ferrule to lay perfectly flat. This is useful if you want to improve the chisel's performance by flattening the back of the chisel.
This design allows you to easily replace the standard maple or walnut handle with your own custom turned wood handle.
- Size: Mortise chisel handle total length: 3.87 inches. Mortise chisel total length: approximately 9 inches. Mortise chisel blade length, including the tang is approximately 6 inches.
- Blade: Made from AISI High Vanadium A2 tool steel fully stress relieved, triple tempered, cryogenically treated and hardened to 60-62 HRC. Cutting edge is ground with a primary bevel at 30°. All sides are square to each other within +/- .0015 of an inch accuracy.
- Ferrule: Made from a solid stress and fatigue resistant steel bar hardened to 54-56 HRC with a double temper for added strength. Center bored, reamed, and flat on the top and bottom to slip over the tang and seat flush and firm against the flats on the blades two shoulders at one end and the flat top of the wood at the other. This ferrule design and solid construction protects the blade tang, bolsters the wood and provides the chisel with tremendous strength to withstand the lateral stresses from prying. Hand polished.
- Handle Hardened Steel Core: Made from stress and fatigue resistant steel bar hardened to 54-56 HRC with a double temper for strength and durability. Its finely tapped ends attach to the threaded blade tang and striking cap precisely and securely to make these chisels extremely rigid. It is also hollowed and milled open in its mid section for balance and weight. At less than 20 grams, it still has more than enough tensile strength to easily seal the chisel together indefinitely or, repeatedly.
- Handle Striking Cap: Made from a solid round aluminum bar, it has a precision turned domed top and a finely threaded center post that is precisely and securely attached to the hardened steel core. Its wide flat back seats flush and firm against the matching flat on the back of the wood for a wide area of contact. Tightening the handle compresses the back cap against the wood, fixing both firmly in place. Hand polished on domed surface.
Handle Wood: IBC mortise chisel handles are available with maple or walnut wood. Each handle is 3 1/2” long, center bored to fit its steel core and cut flat on top and bottom for a wide area of contact with the hardened ferrule the aluminum back cap. Tightening the chisel compresses the wood between them to seal it in place. When the handle is detached, the wood can be separated from the steel core and back cap to customize the handle with your own wood species and / or profile.
Made in Canada
The chisels both had a belly 1/4 in. wasn't to bad but the larger 7/16 took way to many hours of flattening to get it out so, I do plan on getting a few more but if there's a belly ill exchange it from the get go . Jake was more than helpful though and I will not hesitate to buy any of there products .
Very impressed with the tool. Well balanced, great finish, and an all round pleasure to use. Shortly after I ordered the chisel I received a call from Rob himself thanking me for my purchase and letting me know that my order had shipped. That small gesture really went a long way. Just ordered my 3/8in and 1/2in mortise chisels. Keep up the great work
Steel, Design, Result
I'm happy with the material this is made of and performance of the end product. The back dressed up, and, the bevel sharpened well.
very nice chisel very high qualitywhith easybprep.
IBC 1/4 & 3/8 Mortise Chisels
As I have been transitioning more and more to hand tools; I find that the quality really does matter. These IBC Chisels and the replacement 5-1/2 Jack Plane Blade have made a huge difference in the quality I'm able to produce. At 70 I don't have the strength I once had, so learning sharpening on quality stones with quality tools is making woodworking fun. I can't wait till I finally retire in 5 years to spend a lot of time at my bench with quality Cosman Saws, IBC Chisels and all the little stuff I get from Rob & His Family... the biggest being taught via Utube, & supporting the Purple Heart Project as I can.