Cosmanized 17-Degree Chisel: 1/2 inch
If you have ever chopped out waste in softer woods (Pine, Cedar, Aspen, Poplar, etc) then you have felt the frustration of the wood fibers collapsing and tearing out in big chunks with typical bench chisels ground at 25-30 degrees. I fixed this problem by grinding a more acute bevel on an IBC chisel specifically for chopping out waste in softer woods.
Chop waste in soft woods without chunks tearing out.
17 degree primary bevel cleanly slices through soft wood fibers.
Available in your choice of Maple or Walnut handle.
- Size: Bench Chisel Handle total length: 3.87” Bench Chisel total length: 9.2”. Bench chisel blade length including the tang is 6“.
- Blade: Made from AISI High Vanadium A2 tool steel fully stress relieved, triple tempered, cryogenically treated and hardened to 60-62 HRC. Back sides have a semi-mirror finish. Beveled sides are ground with a small 90° flat for comfort and safety during use.
- Ferrule: Made from a solid round stress and fatigue resistant steel bar hardened to 54-56 HRC with a double temper for added strength. Center bored, reamed, and flat on the top and bottom to slip over the tang and seat flush and firm against the flats on the blades two shoulders at one end and the flat top of the wood at the other. This ferrule design and solid construction protects the blade tang, bolsters the wood and provides the chisel with tremendous strength to withstand the lateral stresses from prying. Hand polished.
- Handle Hardened Steel Core: Made from a 3.00” long x 3/8” round stress and fatigue resistant steel bar and hardened to 54-56 HRC with a double temper for strength and durability. Its finely tapped ends attach to the threaded blade tang and striking cap precisely and securely to make these chisels extremely rigid. It is also hollowed and milled open in its mid section for balance and weight. At less than 20 grams, it still has more than enough tensile strength to easily seal the chisel together indefinitely or, repeatedly.
- Handle Striking Cap: Made from a solid round aluminum bar, it has a precision turned domed top and a finely threaded center post that is precisely and securely attached to the hardened steel core. Its wide flat back seats flush and firm against the matching flat on the back of the wood for a wide area of contact. Tightening the handle compresses the back cap against the wood, fixing both firmly in place. Hand polished on domed surface. Weight: 10 grams.
- Handle Wood: IBC Chisel handles are currently available with Maple or Walnut wood. Each wood is 3 1/2” long, center bored to fit its steel core and cut flat on top and bottom for a wide area of contact with the hardened ferrule the aluminum back cap. Tightening the chisel compresses the wood between them to seal it in place. When the handle is detached, the wood can be separated from the steel core and back cap to customize the handle with your own wood species and / or profile.
As a new hand tool wood worker, I was getting very frustrated with crushing pine instead of getting clean cuts. Very, very please with the 17 degree chisel - helped my confidence and my skill at dovetailing!
Wonderful chisel with a great edge
Absolutely clean cuts in softwoods! No comparison. The 17 degree angle really works.
The left side of the blade had an 1/8” chip missing. It appeared to have been dropped prior to packaging as it was wrapped in anti rust paper an placed in a plastic shield. The wrapping, shield and mailing package showed no signs of damage. I had to regrind and sharpen to be able to use. The chisel Itself is high quality and excellent tool.