The Cosman Workbench: Baltic Birch Plywood Top - 31" Height
The workbench is the most important tool of a hand tool woodworker. If you are looking for a premium workbench that meets the three key criteria for a hand tool workbench (mass, work-holding, and a flat reference top), that can serve as your forever workbench and will not break the bank, then look no further; The Cosman Workbench is for you. Our workbench comes in multiple variants depending on your choice of dog hole patterns and workbench top material and it can be modified with lots of available workbench accessories.
The Cosman Workbench has a simple knock-down design. The workbench top is secured to the base with four 3/8 inch bolts passing through the base and going into threaded steel inserts embedded in the underside of the workbench top. The four long stretchers are secured to the trestles with 3/8 inch bolts. The adjustable sharpening station is secured to one trestle with a single 3/8 inch bolt. You just need a single 9/16 inch open-end wrench to assemble or disassemble the workbench.
The workbench top comes in your choice of a flat, triple laminated, three inches thick, water resistant Medium Density Fiberboard (MDF) or Baltic Birch plywood. Both the MDF and the Baltic Birch workbench top comes in three variants based on the bench dog hole pattern chosen: left handed, right-handed, or double row. The surface of both tops is a reference surface that is flat within .010 of an inch along its length and width. Most importantly, the top stays flat and never needs periodic flattening like solid wood vertically laminated tops. If you plan on using holdfasts with your workbench, we recommend the Baltic Birch top variant.
Our workbench comes equipped with a heavy-duty Sjoberg Adjustable Vise in the end vise position. The vise has 5-3/4 inches of travel between the jaw face and the workbench. The 1-3/4 inch thick hard maple jaw is lined with a cork/rubber material and a wooden vise handle is included. Most importantly this vise has a unique square way tube design that virtually eliminates all racking.
Our workbenches includes two 1 inch diameter aluminum Sjoberg bench dogs with three degree downward sloping faces and a height adjustable sharpening station. The sharpening station is designed to support the Cosman sharpening technique. It is made from 3/4 inch thick exterior grade plywood and slopes slightly downward to drain water away from the workbench.
The workbench base and top are spray finished with three coats of lacquer.
The workbench is designed to also serve as an assembly table that glue-ups can be clamped to the reference surface.
Our workbenches are disassembled and packed in a wooden crate, then shipped to you via freight trucking. You will need to assemble the base and mount the top (see our How to Assemble video for details)
- Top Measurements: 60 inches long x 20 inches wide x 3 inches thick.
- Base Measurements: 31-3/4 inches tall x 45-1/4 inches long x 16-7/8 inches wide
- Height from Floor to Top: 31 inches.
Weight: MDF version: 176 pounds; Baltic Birch version: 167 pounds.
- Top Material: Flat laminated MDF or Baltic Birch Plywood.
- Base Material: Flat laminated Baltic Birch plywood.
- Vise: Sjoberg Adjustable Vise with a wooden jaw/chop and handle.
- Vise Jaw/Chop: 1-3/4 inch thick x 3-3/4 inches tall x 20 inches wide hard maple jaw/chop.
- Sharpening Station. 16-3/4 inches long x 13 inches wide x 3/4 inch thick.
- Finish: Three coats of spray lacquer.
- We ship LTL ground freight to most North American addresses.
- Ground Freight charges are auto calculated at checkout except for Hawaii, Alaska, Yukon, NorthWest Territories, and Nunavut.
- For shipping quote to Alaska, Hawaii, Yukon, NorthWest Territories, and Nunavut please contact customer support by phone or via "Contact Us" link.