Cosmanized WoodRiver Mortise & Tenon Gauge
My "Cosmanized" WoodRiver Mortise and Tenon Gauge combines my Mortise and Tenon attachment with a "Cosmanized" WoodRiver marking gauge.
- Designed for marking out a mortise & tenon joint in furniture making.
- Width range between the two cutters: 3/16 inch to 11/16 inch wide.
- Works best for marking out cuts between 1/4 inch to 5/8 inch wide.
- Designed primarily for marking out the tenons but works for the mortises as well.
- Place your mortise chisel between the cutters, snug up the cutters to the chisel sides, using the knurled handle lock the cutters in place, remove the chisel. Now your gauge perfectly matches the width of your chisel.
- When laying out tenons, the bevel / waste side of the gauge is perfectly located on the "waste" side of the line.
- When laying out mortises, the bevel / waste side of the cutter is located on the "keep" side of the line.
- Rob recommends laying out the mortise using just one line with a standard marking gauge, instead of this gauge. The reason for this is it is much easier to register your mortise chisel to one line verses two lines when chopping.
A brass knurled locking handle
An O-1 hardened cutter.
Simply picking up this tool and feeling it in your hands is a joy and a satisfying experience. The finish, the “heft” and the tiniest of details are the hallmarks of a tool that enormous thought and care and skill have gone into production. This gauge inspires me to be a better worker! A true joy to hold and to use, I look forward to passing this on to the generations who come after me.
Rob’s team has done great job customizing a Wood River tool. The enhancements are worth the price.
Good in the hand.
Very high quality. This Cosmanized mortise and tenon marking gauge is much better quality that a Veritas marking gauge I bought from Lee Valley and had to send back due to sloppy fit of the rod in the fence and then another one from Lee Valley with rough edges on the cutter. Buy Rob Cosman's--it is very high quality.
This well made mortise attachment for the wheel type marking gauge is extremely easy to adjust using the corresponding mortise chisel as a setup spacer. It is easy to quickly locate and cut accurate scribe lines for tenon placement. Not much else to say, it works great.